Re: Opera 4

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:34:10 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I've been using the Opera 4 betas for a while - and now have the final -
and must comment that Opera 4 is very, very good, and appears to be quite
stable.

I have noticed a few oddities:

1.  Opera 4 does not support all standard character entities, e.g. &beta; .

2.  Opera 4 does not support certain deprecated tags, e.g., <s>.

3.  Opera 4's userAgent string (and related strings) can be selected from a
drop-down list, so a user could configure it so that browser-sniffers might
detect it as either IE, NN, Mozilla, or Opera, depending on the string
selected.  If a site detected it as IE, for example, it might make some
assumptions that would cause problems in rendering pages:  e.g.,
incorrectly assume that a certain DOM or level of JS is supported.

At 02:51 PM 06/29/00, you wrote:
>I checked out the URL given below, and Opera 4 for windows claims
>the following: "TLS, SSL 2, SSL 3, CSS1 enhanced, CSS2 added, XML
>added, HTML 4.0 added, HTTP 1.1 added, WML added, ECMAScript
>added, Javascript 1.3 added, Standards compliance enhanced, Cross
>Platform Core, Memory usage optimized, and Rendering speed
>enhanced." Did not see the CSS and HTML tags broken down, but site
>is deep and it may be there somewhere.
>Ann
>
> >  i havnt fully tested opera 4 (beta 6) but its supposed to
>conform to w3c standards totaly. unlike IE and netscape. i now it
>conforms to HTML4 but im unsure about CSS. but, from what ive seen
>it seems to do well. opera also supports some IE and NN taks such
>as marginwidth, marginheight, leftmargin and topmargin. also opera
>displays frames properly unlike NN ometimes (because it handles
>frames as % only. so it converts the pixel size into % and messes
>it up (usualy between 1 and 5 pixels out). opera, according to the
>documentation isnt a nightmare. it supports w3c sstandard CSS. but
>on the opera site ( www.opera.com ) there is documentation listing
>the CSS tags that it supports as well as HTML tags.

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/