RE: Cannot define LI in NS 4.6

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Fri, 25 Aug 2000 06:25:18 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:41 AM 23/08/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I don't know if it makes any difference, but have you tried quoting the
>attributes?  I know from my own experiences with IE 4 that the CSS breaks=
 if
>quotes aren't included.
>
>Try:
>LI { background: "white"; color: "#000000"; font-size: "12px"; font-family:
>"arial, verdana, sans-serif"
>}
>and see what happens ... unless, of course, you already thought of that=20
>and it
>doesn't!

In CSS, style values should never be quoted like this.  The only time you=20
should use quotes is if you have a font name that has more than one word=20
and there are spaces between words as for example in:

p {
font: normal 12px/1.4em Times, "Times New Roman", serif;
}

Your code above will probably break in every browser that supports CSS and=
=20
I'm surprised it did work in IE for you because it has good CSS error=20
handling usually.  One sure thing is that quoting all the CSS values like=20
that is a syntax error according to the CSS specs.  If your CSS broke in IE=
=20
without those quotes you must have had another error in the code somewhere=
=20
else.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron