Re: Pop-Up Window Help Needed

by Berk/Devlin <armadill(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Mon, 04 Sep 2000 18:08:06 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Linda:

I've just done a fair amount of playing with pop-up windows.
I don't agree that pop-up windows are evil, at least not all of the time.
For example, they serve a purpose when you want the reader to be able to
look at two of your windows simultaneously.  They do take some managing,
though.

What I did with mine (see, for example:
http://www.armadillosoft.com/CUSD/funds.php3)

is to force my pop-up windows close when the user stops looking at them
(when they are blurred.)  To do this, I added the following onBlur to the
body tag of the pop-up window, like so:

Then, in the function in which I have the call:
newWin=window.open(),

I added the following line:
         newWin.focus();

This makes my pop-up leap to the front when it's opened regardless of where it
is on the desktop.

I find that I can't do Javascript without PHP, however.  I still need
to change things like the window's location, name, etc., on the fly
and PHP has been a major help with this.

For example, I want my pop-up to function as full windows as well, and in
those cases, I do not want them to close when blurred.  So, I have the PHP
generate different body tags depending upon the context in which the pop-up
is called.

Let me know if this is not clear.

By the way, I found a very helpful overview of Javascript's
pop-up windows capabilities and how to use them at:
http://webreview.com/pub/98/11/06/feature/index3.html

--Emily