RE: CSS Font Sizes and Macs

by Nathan Lyle <natlyle(at)nmu.edu>

 Date:  Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:18:26 -0400
 To:  Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
<Tamara>
>And, the plot thickens -- *point* is a print measurement and, just as RGB
>and CMYK don't come close, neither do points and video monitors.
>Pixels does work and it has been strongly recommended, but even that's not
>perfect. I just learned from another list that Macs display at 96 dpi and
>PCs at 72 which means there will always be differences. I think it is going
>to be a matter of your audience and what you can live with.

I think your last point (no pun intended) is probably right. I had to
question the dpi thing though. I've always based my images on 72 dpi (and
I've always worked on a mac) and I'd picked that number because that's what
I thought *all* monitors used. I'll admit that I could always be wrong, but
I'm almost positive that mac monitors have traditionally used 72 dpi.

~Nathan Lyle

  natlyle(at)nmu.edu     http://euclid.nmu.edu/~natlyle

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." - Sir Richard Francis Burton (1821-1890)
- British explorer