Re: Netscape, CSS & links [was:Re: Active Link Colors]

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Sat, 07 Oct 2000 19:46:15 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:37 PM 10/07/00, you wrote:
>Does anyone know the workaround for getting NN4 to recognize
>pseudoelements--especially all the anchor attributes-- in a style sheet?  I
>am trying to introduce the CSS concept at work, & it's not easy with NN not
>cooperating very well.  I have a stylesheet using Windows default colors,
>without a hover, & all I get in NN is blue, no underline.
>
>many thanks in advance...
>Lady Wist

Two points:

1.  Opera 4 and Mozilla/Netscape6 support a:hover as well.  Opera 4 has
been out for a few months, and Netscape 6 should be released near the end
of this year.  So you could us these browsers and IE to introduce the
concept.  (Exception:  a:hover was disabled in Netscape 6 PR3, supposedly
as a temporary work-around to avoid an unresolved bug.)

2.  Having a browser like NN4 that does *not* support a:hover is important
when introducing CSS, since (a) this emphasizes that not all browsers
support CSS equally, and (b) this teaches that it is possible to use CSS,
despite unequal support, so long as care is taken to ensure that the site
degrades gracefully with less capable browsers.

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/