Re: Netscape/CSS/Tables

by Nathan Lyle <natlyle(at)nmu.edu>

 Date:  Sun, 29 Oct 2000 20:46:43 -0500
 To:  thombrad(at)visi.net
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Try doing them without external stylesheets. NN has problems with external.
>PLace the style in the header and it won't have to keep referring back to the
>external page, esp with nested tables.

I'll try that when I go in on monday... I'm curious to see if that's it. It
makes sense. :)

>Also, the less complicated the table, the faster it will parse.

That much I did know... it's actually what I thought the problem was at first.

>If you an
>figure a way to setup your table so that each line is not a TD and TR and
>perhaps set the tables next to each other as opposed to nested, it will load
>much faster.

I actually did spend time trying to do that, but I couldn't find a way that
would be somewhat reliable across browser and platform differences.

>Otherwise, very neatly written and easy to understand. I was impressed by
>how I
>could tell at a glance what was happening within the code.

Thank you! I've been trying to write cleaner, because a lot of my projects
are "left behind" in the sense that others who know less about HTML and the
like are the ones who have to be able to make updates. Plus, when you spend
as much time staring at code as I seem to be these days, cleaner means
quicker. (Not that I don't have many messy moments.)  <grin>

Thanks for the idea, I'll let you know how that turns out....

~Nathan Lyle

http://euclid.nmu.edu/~natlyle
natlyle(at)nmu.edu or jopling(at)geocities.com
(906)227-5736

"Liberty is always dangerous, but it is the safest thing we have." - Harry
Emerson Fosdick