Re: Website critique please?

by Nathan Lyle <natlyle(at)nmu.edu>

 Date:  Tue, 03 Jul 2001 02:27:06 -0400
 To:  "Maureen A. Barlow" <maureen(at)pixelgem.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

><Maureen to Wendy>
>I have a Mac with IE as well, and am seeing the same problem with the scroll
>bars (or lack, thereof).  I don't really have an answer, but upon looking at
>the source, should the <.doctype...> be after the <.html> tag, instead of
>before it?  Just a thought.

My 2.999 cents: Didn't see a scrollbar problem on my Windows (hang on sec,
gag reflex to fight back, ok, better now)  ME desktop in Netscape 4.7, so
I'm not sure what that might be about. I've worked extensively on Mac and
Windows machines and haven't had that
problem except with frames, occasionaly, and I never did figure out why.

I doubt the <.doctype> placement is the issue, but I believe it's
*supposed* to go *before* the <.html> entity. HTML is but an instance of
SGML (if I haven't read astray) and the <.doctype> is referring to the HTML
that will then come afterward.