RE: Window Size? IE vs. Netscape yet again (I think)

by Nathan Lyle <natlyle(at)nmu.edu>

 Date:  Thu, 05 Jul 2001 16:56:00 -0400
 To:  Klaas De Waele <klaas(at)gracegraphics.be>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Open up IE 5.x, go to that site, file - save as, select a folder to save it
>in (it will also make a subdir with extra files - graphics,...) and then
>open that saved page.  You'll notice it's okay.

It's not though... for whatever reason. There are line breaks inserted in
places that cause javascript errors ( like in the middle of a
'document.writeln("blah blah")' statement, if you break between those
blahs, it becomes an error.)

Not to mention the spacing between things like the image map, etc., become
frustratingly difficult to read by eye.

><.tbody>, <.tfoot>, <.thead> are tags for row-grouping, which improve
>pagination and scrolling (www.visibone.com/html).  Possible attributes are
>align, valign and bgcolor.  W3.og recommends these tags, but I don't think
>they're supported by the browsers.

Right, I went and checked up on these too, and I see it was an HTML piece I
had missed entirely. I tried including them though and it didn't make a
difference, so either they aren't the problem or just aren't supported.

Interestingly enough, I think I *did* find out what the problem is. It
seems to be the way that IE6 is handling white space in the document.
Spaces left over from within the page that have never been a problem
before. I found this out by "just for the heck of it" deleting a line I had
( <!-- main area --> ) which *may* have included a visible space somewhere
if the browser was rendering anything from before or after that line. (I
tab or space lines in a document to make them readable, maybe I'll have to
stop doing this?)

Anyway, when I took that line out, and shrunk 10 pixels off my thumbnails,
the table stopped forcing itself off the side of the page. So it seems to
have been that the browser didn't think there was enough space in the
nested table. With borders set to 1 it looks like there is, but my theory
is that since you can't see the white spaces, they must be the invisible
enemy, filling up around the edges of the nested table and bloating that
section. Or something. I don't think I'm describing this very well, but I
think this was it. Seems to be working now, anyway. <shrug>

~Nathan Lyle   (The Tragic Comedian Poet)

Email:  natlyle(at)nmu.edu    or    jopling(at)geocities.com
Web: http://euclid.nmu.edu/~natlyle
Phone: (906)485-4806

"Ignorance is a cure for nothing." - W. E. B. DuBois