Re: Advertising (Hopefully List Appropriate)

by Nathan Lyle <natlyle(at)nmu.edu>

 Date:  Thu, 09 Aug 2001 16:19:49 -0400
 To:  Noteworthy Web Designs <webmaster(at)noteworthydesigns.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

><Nancy>
>Maybe he should just phrase it as was mentioned earlier.....I'm
>here.....here's
>what I do......here are my references.........here's my
>portfolio........if you
>like what I do, please contact me, without pointing out the "flaws". If a
>potential customer has an agreement with another designer, they can either
>ignore the message or point that out politely,in which case Nathan should back
>off, or if they don't, they can save the e-mail for the future.

 From what I'm gathering, there have been two "directions" that have been
recommended in *how* to send an email to someone, looking for business. 1)
Be personal about how their site worked/didn't and offer a list of things
that might be improved upon, and 2) Say nothing about the site itself (this
part didn't work, that part was just bad, etc.) but mention only who you
are, what you do (with portfolio).

I can see/feel an up and a down to each of these, and am not sure which I
think is best. I like the idea of personalizing, but also like the idea of
"backing off" to the point of not offending. (A whole separate can of
worms: does a good business man have to be okay with the occasional
offense?) <smile>

So far I'm seeing much that is food for thought, and I appreciate all who
have taken the time to write on this.

~Nathan Lyle   (The Tragic Comedian Poet)

Web: http://www.nathanlyle.com
Email:  natlyle(at)nmu.edu    or    jopling(at)geocities.com
Phone: (906)485-4806

"In each of us are places where we have never gone. Only by pressing the
limits do you ever find them." - Dr. Joyce Brothers