Re: Search Engines

by "Jason K. Chapman" <theguild(at)interserv.com>

 Date:  Wed, 31 Oct 2001 07:52:25 -0500
 To:  "HWG-Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:26 PM 10/30/2001 -0600, Antonio R. wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Can anybody give me a list of important search engines to wich I have to
>submit my new site =)
>
>I know this may be a little out of topic, but I hope you can help me, thanks
>=)
>
>Antonio R.

Search Engines
<http://www.google.com>
<http://www.altavista.com>
<http://www.lycos.com>
<http://www.hotbot.com> (To get into the Inktomi index)
<http://www.teoma.com> (Just in case Ask Jeeves decides to integrate the
results)
<http://www.wisenut.com> (Hedging bets.  This one may well become important
before long.)

Directories
<http://www.yahoo.com>
<http://www.looksmart.com> (<http://www.zeal.com>)
<http://www.dmoz.org>
<http://www.directhit.com>

There are others, especially if the primary target audience is not the US,
but these will cover most of the Web search world.  Open Directory
(dmoz.org) and zeal.com have especially broad reach because the results are
included in so many other sites.  Good placement with Open Directory will
actually help in search engine results, as many Open Directory mirrors are
also spidered, adding to the number of sites linked to yours.

Suggested reading
<http://www.searchenginewatch.com>
<http://www.thewritemarket.com/intro.shtml> (Some outdated info, but still
useful)

Jason K. Chapman

--
THE HERETIC, a cyber thriller by Jason K. Chapman.
Online edition at <http://www.happyhacker.org/heretic/>. Softcover,