Re: OpenSSH (OFFTOPIC)

by "Jason K. Chapman" <theguild(at)interserv.com>

 Date:  Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:43:11 -0400
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:19 PM 7/16/2002 -0500, Dale wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've just installed OpenSSH on my Cobalt RaQ3 and no clue how to use it.
>Does anyone have any suggestions as to what client to use (or avoid!) on my
>Windows machine to access it?

I use PuTTY as my Windows-based Telnet/SSH client.  It also has a built-in
X terminal emulator.  It's available free at
<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/>.

If OpenSSH is installed correctly, the SSH daemon should be listening to
port 22 and telnet should NOT be listening at all.  OpenSSH accepts
connections using secure, encrypted authentication.  From the client side,
it's just like using telnet, except it stops to create a new encryption key
when you first connect to a new server.

An SFTP connection works the same way.  Because of the encryption, both are
somewhat slower than their clear-text counterparts, but they're worth it.

  For more information about OpenSSH, go to the horse's mouth at
<http://www.openssh.com/>.

Jason K. Chapman

--
THE HERETIC, a cyber thriller by Jason K. Chapman.
Online edition at <http://www.happyhacker.org/heretic/>. Softcover,