Re: How can I hide some code?

by jalal <the_jalal(at)fastmail.fm>

 Date:  Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:02:40 +0100
 To:  HWG-Techinques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Nancy Whittley wrote:
> We have a website that has a pretty straight forward feature.  A power
> supply calculator.
> This thing is rediculously popular and now I have folks who have copied it
> and are using it for themselves.
>
> I would like to be able to hide some of the features so it isn't so easy
> to figure out is there a way
> to do this?  Because of the popularity of this page, it has been stolen,
> to the point where they even
> use out meta tags.
>
> Any ideas on this?

I've just been looking into something called the 'xml-http-request
object', which allows you to use javascript to query the server, so your
logic can all be on the server. Its also called Javascript Remote
Scripting if you want to google for more details.

I haven't tried it in practise (yet!) but it looks quite useful. It's
what google uses for a lot of its work (gmail, maps.google.com etc.).

Here are some URL's with more details:
http://www.ashleyit.com/rs/
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/02/09/xml-http-request.html

> Thanks
> Nancy Whittley

cheers
jalal

--

GPG fingerprint = 3D45 5509 D380 26A4 523E  A9D8 A66A 5F38 CA43 BB0E