Re: PNG Question

by Nik Gare <nik(at)cheddarcheese.de>

 Date:  Fri, 07 Apr 2000 10:33:40 +0200
 To:  "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On 07 Apr, Kehvan M. Zydhek <kehvan(at)zydhek.net> wrote:
> Greetings,

<snip>

> However, my results are that the alpha channel is not becoming
> transparent, instead creating a solid, non-transparent background
> (medium grey in IE, white in Netscape, black in Opera). Since the areas
> that should be transparent are showing up in different colors in these
> browsers, I assume the alpha channel is stored in the image properly.
> But I'm at a loss for making the background of the image truely
> transparent as what I've read says it can do. Is there additional tag
> properties, scripts, or plug-ins required to make this effect work, and
> if so, can anyone point me in the right direction?

AFAIK, PNGs are not supported properly by IE and Netscape (presumably
neither Opera, but not too sure).
The graphics display perfectly on the browser that I have (which supports
PNG fully, and has since it was released).
Unfortunately it's on another platform and no longer being developed :-(
Your best bet would probably be to just use transparent GIFs until the
major browsers support PNG fully.
There is quite a bit about PNG browser support at the PNG home page
(URL?), if you have a look there you should find what limitations each
browser has.
Nice graphics BTW.

TTFN
Nik