Re: targeted links

by Marten Gallagher <marteng(at)intonet.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Jul 2000 00:17:59 +0100
 To:  Noteworthy Web Designs <webmaster(at)noteworthydesigns.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
On 25 Jul, Noteworthy Web Designs <webmaster(at)noteworthydesigns.com> wrote:
> I've just finished http://www.peekintothepast.com, and I have some links
> doing some bizarre things. From the table of contents page, the links
> are supposed to all be targeted to certain anchors on the excerpts page.
> For some reason, using Internet Explorer works fine. All the links go to
> their targeted areas. But in my Netscape 4.6, the links keep targeting
> to the bottom of the excerpts page, no matter where they're supposed to
> be. Is it just my particular scrambled browser, or does anyone else's
> Netscape do this? I used Dreamweaver, and in looking at the html, I
> don't see any misplaced links, that I noticed. This is supposed to debut
> today, so any help would be greatly appreciated:-)

A) Try putting &nbsp; between the <a name=3D"X"> and the </a>.

Netscape doesn't like empty A tags. That &nbsp; is a No Break Space BTW.

B) If you can,=A0and it looks possible from my quick look, move
the <a name... label up to the end of the para before - when jumped to,=A0it
hides the chapter heading just above the top of the browser window - moving
it would allow the chapter heading to remain visible on the jump thus mking
it clearer to the surfer.

Interesting site...

Slainte

--
Marten Gallagher - marten(at)annerykiln.co.uk
http://www.annerykiln.co.uk/