Netscape 6 and DHTML

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Alberto=2E=B7=2EVallini=22?= <vallinis(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:15:00 +0100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Precisely: NN6 does not support the layer object, and the layer tag is not
supported as well.
Weird? it is. The good news is that both IE5 and NN6 support a new dom
(diference is, although, that despite NN6 doesn't support its previous
version sintax document.layers, IE5 does support its previous version's
sintax document.all) which resorts to:
document.getElementById("DIVnameHere")

I thought it was well known by now.
Useless to say that as far as other properties of the new unified Dom are
concerned or might be, we are still waiitng for a book to reveal them to
us; W3C web site is not at all user-friendly to find them out, and of
course doesn't ecplain them in the same way a whole book devoted to the
subject would.
It's a brand new world out there. Bad news, users as well as you will keep
ignoring it, so all these new wonderful feratures like XML will be used
extensively not before... 6 years at least. We still have users that go
around with NN3,. and even with IE2. I'm afraid, blame Netscape for this:
it took a lot of time and finally elected a unified DOM that did not
support the oldest Dom in order to speed up the process: they took over
Mozilla engine, and it did not consider layers, of course, as it was a
propietary tag.
Life cannot be easy, we're here as a punishment.