RE: Forms & White Space

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:19:28 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:59 PM 21/09/00 -0600, you wrote:
>yes, i've had trouble with weird extra space within table cells that is
>actually created by the <form></form> tags.  if you put those tags outside
>the table cell, you may get a nesting error, but it will work (don't ask me
>why).

Actually that's the right way to do it like for example:

<form ...>
</form>

Either that or

     <form ...>
     </form>

What is wrong is any variation of this:

<form ...>
</form>

... where the form tags are inserted in between the table elements and=20
within the table tags themselves.  This method has been suggested as a good=
=20
way to do it on the list recently but it's really not since it's a nesting=
=20
error and will behave unexpectedly depending on the browser used.  White=20
space and form elements is something we have to live and deal with.  CSS=20
may help depending on the browser but our pages will always end up looking=
=20
"wrong" in someone's browser.  That's a fact that's hard to accept for many=
=20
designers who expect pixel perfect control of their pages but that is just=
=20
not possible in all situations on the Web.  Better accept it and move=20
on...  The old principle of form follows function is even more true=
 online...

HTH!

St=E9phane