Re: Quick help please - Validation

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:13:30 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
This thread is a perfect example of the need for validation that was asked=
=20
about in another thread.  If Rick had validated his pages with either the=20
W3C Validation Services (http://validator.w3.org) or one of the validators=
=20
one can install on their machine like the CSE HTML Validator=20
(www.htmlvalidator.com) or Dave Ragett's Tidy, he wouldn't have needed to=20
ask for help on this list at all.  I find that most of the problems people=
=20
encounter while creating Web pages come from invalid or incorrect markup=20
that any of the above validators will catch in a second.

The most often seen mistakes include improper tag nesting, various unclosed=
=20
tags and illegal attributes or attribute values (like putting=20
valign=3D"center" in a td or th tag instead of "middle" or "top" or=
 "bottom")=20
on top of all the other junk that many WYSIWYG tools add to the code.  All=
=20
those errors can have varying effects ranging from the page not rendering=20
properly or not rendering at all to crashing the browser altogether.  Most=
=20
validators will also flag images with no Alt attributes (which hurt=20
accessibility as well as search engine ranking) and a lot more similarly=20
"small" things that can make a big difference in the quality of your=20
work.   A simple trip to a validator will save you a lot of headaches so I=
=20
find that it is a very important step in my own page development process as=
=20
I think it should be for everyone.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron