Re: paragraphs and CSS

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:17:55 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  Fox Rodgers <entr0py(at)juno.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:18 AM 30/09/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey coders!
>
>I've been too busy to read all the mail on the list this past week, so=20
>forgive me if the CSS thread has covered this already. But on my site=20
>(http://entropy.tc) I am implementing rather basic CSS (which can be found=
=20
>at http://www.entropy.tc/fullstyle.css)
>and a slight variation (for the 'splash' page only) at=20
>http://www.entropy.tc/indexstyle.css. Anyway, while I am pleased w/ the=20
>overall look of CSS here, I am stumped as to WHY my Paragraph tags <P>'s=20
>look SO FUNKY?!?! It's hard to describe what's going on, but in NN4x, IE4x=
=20
>and up on BOTH Windows and Mac machines, something is going on there with=
=20
>the indentation...

I'm not sure what you mean by funky because as far as I can tell your=20
paragraphs are not indented at all. Tell us more precisely  what you see as=
=20
the problem and we'll be able to help you.

The one thing I think you should revise though is your use of points to=20
size text and the size of it period.  Your pages are probably unreadable on=
=20
a Mac because they are borderline unreadable on my machine (PC with both IE=
=20
5.5 and NC 4.73).  9 pt is way too small for regular body text. In one of=20
my replies to the CSS Font Sizes and Macs thread yesterday I provided many=
=20
links with valuable info on CSS text sizing and what units work and don't=20
work.  Bottom line is that points are the least reliable measurement unit=20
to size text on the Web as they come from the print world and are=20
meaningless on the screen where they should never be used.  Points have=20
been added to the CSS spec to specify text size for printers.  Pixels are a=
=20
lot more reliable but have some problems of their own in terms of=20
accessibility but they are the best alternative to relative units like em=20
and % which we should be using but who are not supported consistently=20
enough between browsers or platforms.  You'll find a lot more info in the A=
=20
List  Apart article I provided the link to in the thread I mentioned above.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron