Re: SSI and MSIE3

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sun, 29 Oct 2000 17:12:33 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "Christie Cooksey" <christie(at)thearmidalemall.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:37 AM 30/10/00 +1100, you wrote:
>I have a dropdown navigation list that I want to include on each page of a
>site.  I've tried adding <!--#include file=3D"sitemap.txt" --> to
>template.shtml.  Which works fine.  But when I tested it offline in MSIE3=
 it
>triggered the "file download" dialogue box.  Is this because I was offline
>or because of a problem with MSIE?

The thing is that SSI directives are parsed and interpreted by the server=20
"before" the page even reaches the browser.  No browser will be able to=20
interpret an include on its own.  You won't be able to see the effect of=20
includes locally unless you see your page through a local server (either=20
PWS, Apache and more) using a url like http://localhost/myfile.shtml=20
(or.asp, .php or whatever).  If you just open the file directly, the=20
included text won't show up in any browser.   Now I have no idea why IE 3=20
would call the file download dialog box.  Are you sure it's trying to=20
download your included file?

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron