Re: Disabling Browser print script?

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sat, 18 Nov 2000 00:16:05 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:01 PM 17/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>I'm designing a web-site for an artist. He wishes that visitors to his
>site will not be able to print images displayed on the site. I've
>added a java script to disable saving the image, however, I've no
>idea whether a java or even perl/cgi script can be written to disable
>printing from a browser. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very
>much appreciated.

Hi Keith,

As others have stated before me, disabling the right mouse button or any=20
other JavaScript hack you want to use will not prevent thiefs from stealing=
=20
your client's images.  But what's worse is that practices like this will=20
sharply degrade the usability of the site for the vast majority of users=20
who are not thiefs.  Before you think of further crippling your user's=20
browsers or machines, for the sake of your users, read the following=20
page... especially item #10:=20
http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/dontdoit.htm  If that doesn't convince=
=20
you to remove that script, read it again.

The only fail safe way to protect images from theft on the Web is to not=20
publish them there at all.  Such is the nature of the medium and there's no=
=20
way around it.  The only professional way to deal with this issue is to=20
register with Digimark and watermark your images.  Disabling features in=20
the browser is a big mistake in all circumstances and it's also completely=
=20
inefficient in achieving the desired result...

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron