Re: Web-mail interface for general use?

by tamara <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:42:29 -0500
 To:  David Sharp <David.Sharp(at)sharp-words.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:53 PM 9/17/2001 +0200, David Sharp wrote:
>Hi,
>
>One of the reasons web-based e-mail services are so popular, particularly
>with casual Internet users, is that they allow you to consult and reply to
>your mail from wherever you are, as long as you have access to a connected
>machine.
>
>What I'd like to know is whether anyone's created a package that an
>Internet hosting service could install for their customers, and which
>would allow them to offer a similar mail-management interface.
>
>I imagine that one problem with such a system would be how to manage mail
>volume limits, as consultation over the web interface is likely to imply
>leaving the associated mail on the server. However I'm sure that could be
>reasonably easily fixed.

I haven't tried this, but I know some people use http://www.squirrelmail.org/.

My host uses http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/.

You might also want to take a look at hotscripts.com.

BTW -- I just love that feature too since I'm not /always/ at my desk and
do need to check e-mail while on the road or visiting relatives.

HTH
<tamara />