Re: Rant: Netscape 6 - How could you betray me!!!

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:35:01 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
No.  The XML tag is OPTIONAL if the character encoding is UTF-8 or
UTF-16.  See section 3.1.1 of the XHTML spec.

I recommend omitting the XML tag where possible because some old browsers -
like Netscape 3 - render the tag as contents.

At 06:29 AM 11/18/00, you wrote:
>XML tag and version is required for XHTML documents.

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/