Re: a dumb question on finding file size

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:10:53 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  <susanfriesen(at)telus.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm stuck. How can I find out the
>entire file size of any particular web page as it sits on the server?

What I do is use the free NetActivity program from
www.metaproducts.com.  Among the things it can do is report the number of
bytes downloaded, so, for example, if you want to know the weight of a web
page (i.e. the total number of bytes downloaded, including graphics, script
files, etc.), you just have to (a) clear the browser's cache (e.g.
Temporary Internet files), (b) tell NetActivity to start reporting,, then
go to the web page with a browser and look at what NetActivity reports.

[]  HTH, Chuck Upsdell