Web designing (was HTML - why bother?)

by Kimiko Drew <macruimmon(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:47:09 -0700
 To:  "Davies,
Elizabeth H." <EHDavies(at)West.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>A basic requirement for the new hires: the ability to hand code and a
>thorough knowledge of cross-browser idiosyncracies. What they don't want: a
>web design graduate who has only coded on FP and DW, can Flash and but not a
>single page on their resume was done by handcoding skills and they scream in
>panic when UNIX or VI is mentioned (because no matter how hard you try to
>avoid it... you still end up having to know the bloody VI editor here). A
>person can learn DW or any other application. What takes the time to learn
>is the art.
>
>Elizabeth Davies
>West Interactive
>Systems Development
>Web Designer

Ok, I would scream in panic with VI, but that's because it reminds me of
how badly I couldn't grasp the concepts of C++ in college. My knowledge of
Unix is limited to that same event. I realized then that a programmer in
full I do not have the mind for, although I did enjoy programming for a
time. I guess I am more artistically minded.

While I am interested in becoming a web designer, I won't ask for more info
on the job you mention, at least not at this time. It looks like you are
located farther east than I am currently willing to relocate.

What I am curious about, if you or anyone else wouldn't mind indulging me,
is if in your opinion, a graphic arts degree is more important for a web
designer, or would experience count as well? And what about certifications?

You see, I received my degree in business, but I dislike it with a passion
based on years of boring accounting. I found my passion in web design, but
am still trying to puzzle what all I need to be a web designer. I know html
very well, Photoshop pretty well, learned Illustrator, and appreciate DW
since I first got my mind around the layout. I am learning PHP to
understand form scripting, and trying to puzzle out JavaScript as well
(understand basics, but haven't really worked on it).

I guess in some ways, even with a few years of creating websites, and
improving all the while my understanding of site design, the ins and outs
of what works with what browsers, how to code for the disabled, etc. it
just seems that there is more and more I need to learn. From Flash, to
dhtml, to SSI and CGI/Perl. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever learn enough
to break into this business. And here I thought Accounting was the tough
degree.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to
change careers soon, if appropriate. Also any thoughts on what
certifications are often acquired would be great.

TIA

Kimiko Drew
macruimmon(at)earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~macruimmon/