Re: STILL UNSOLVED: Is there a way to set "maximum width"?

by Kimiko Drew <macruimmon(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:06:50 -0700
 To:  thewolves(at)bigfoot.com
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:07 AM 4/27/01 -0700, you wrote:
>So now I design more fluidly. And I keep my browser windows at an 800 width,
>expanding it when needed. I must say that I'm surprised at how many sites out
>there require a window wider than 800 - what are these people thinking of???
>
>Larry Coats

I agree... and what they are thinking of, in my simple estimation, is how
good it looks on their own monitor.

I have a friend, who does great designs, for very large monitor sizes.
She  can't seem to comprehend that not many people have 21 inch monitors.
<sigh> Maybe someday, she will understand, when her dear friends tell her
"it looks lovely, but must I scroll to the right to see it all?" I have
tried to explain, but still no real comprehension. Good thing she does
software Q&A for her living.

Till then, at least it looks very nice, but doesn't help those who have
smaller monitors, like the majority of simple computer owners, who content
themselves with the 14" and 15" monitors that come bundled with their
simple computer systems, or the smaller monitors that come with older Macs.

We just need to try and educate/remind designers about those smaller
monitors, and people with bad eyesight who use 640x480 to read everything,
and color blind people (like another friend who qualifies under all of the
above.) I keep him in mind when I design, knowing he can't see it all as
nicely as I or others do. It keeps me in perspective.

well, I have rambled enough... I guess I am bored today.

:-)

Kimiko Drew
macruimmon(at)earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~macruimmon/