Re: "Undelivered Mail..."

by "Jeniffer C. Johnson" <lead(at)offlead.com>

 Date:  Sun, 09 Jun 2002 22:35:27 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:40 PM 6/9/2002, Mike wrote:
>I'd like to make one thing clear: Klez does not always go about with the
>".exe" extension. I currently have a sample from that same son-in-law with
>".pif" and ".bat" and ".txt" extensions on the attachments. The first two
>were a dead giveaway that something was wrong because he doesn't have enough
>computer savy to use these DOS extensions.

I'm getting on average about 50 mails a day these days infected with Klez.
I'm seeing a lot of them with .html extensions as well. Poor Norton is
awfully overworked recently! I've taken to not opening any attachments at
all that appear to be from the lists unless they are very clear (seems like
the dog lists...especially the yahoo groups lists...are pretty heavily
infected). Many list members have taken to putting things like "virus
scanned incoming and outgoing" in the subject line, as well as specifying
in the body of the email what the attachment is: "this is a picture of a
Golden cross from such and such shelter". They make sure that the name of
the attachment matches the description given...something easy to
decipher..."goldenx.jpg".  As mentioned, the msgs in the body of emails
with Klez tend to be pretty generic.

Of course, since Klez replicates subject lines of emails already in the
infected person's box, eventually we'll see infected mail with subject
lines saying they've been scanned. Thus making sure the attachment matches
the description, as well as being something you are expecting to receive.

Jeniffer