Re: Framed site problem... help needed

by Greg Hart <ghhart(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:15:59 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:54 PM 10/23/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>The site has a central frame, which uses some fancy Javascript to scroll a
>page in there. On all my computers I have no problem, but I've got at
>least half a dozen reports that it doesn't work for some people. The
>problem seems not to be the Javascript.
>
>It appears that although the central frame is meant to be 770 x 470, for
>some people it appears less than that (about 770 x 350 at a guess). So the
>Javascript scroll bar doesn't have a bottom thumb and they can't scroll
>and read the page.

That's exactly the problem. In the main frames code you have:

     <.frame src="news/index.shtml" name="mainFrame" scrolling="no" noresize>

which restricts the browser from allowing the user to scroll if their
resolution won't show all the page. Even the window cannot be adjusted.

The cleanest fix would be to modify the javascript for the window to adjust
to the frame...but that may be difficult to do. The HTML fix is to have
spacing="auto".

- Greg Hart