Re: web hosting plus email account for client

by "Jeniffer C. Johnson" <lead(at)offlead.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:29:10 -0600
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:55 PM 3/27/2003, Shelley wrote:
>Dear listers
>
>         I have a new client, am working on a total redo of the website
> and have set
>up a new web hosting account for them using the same email addresses as
>before (hotel so typical info@).  One of the features that is available with
>the web hosting account is Spam Assassin - I enabled it but it started
>blocking my emails so lacking the time right then to check into it I routed

Was this by any chance through Cpanel? (And do I understand you correctly
that it was just blocking all mail?) If so, contact the administrator of
the hosting company, and urge them to upgrade their cpanel package. I was
successfully using spam assassin through cpanel for months, and had begun
luxuriating in only receiving 20 or so spam a day (compared to the hundreds
per day I was previously receiving). Then one day all my email stopped.
Well, that was certainly not normal, and when we looked into it, discovered
that something in spam assassin was hanging all my mail on that domain.
Once disabled, all the mail came through again (including, of course, the
spam). When we upgraded cpanel last week, I tested spam assassin again, and
it seems to be working perfectly again. Whew! Between blocking all mail at
the server that isn't addressed to an actual address, and using the spam
assassin screening to filter spam out to the trash on the mail client side,
I'm once again down to a handful of spam a day.

Jeniffer