Re: centering text

by Adrian Harris <adrian(at)gn.apc.org>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:25:07 +0100
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

I tried the <.div align =center> solution, but that still didn't do it. I
think the problem is as Stephanie wrote:

>With the td width specified, IE seems to left-align the cell within
>the table (which is wider) and to then center the text within that
>left-aligned cell.

I have a one cell table in a cell of a 6 cell table. The cells of the 6
cell table are set to align center, so I think the browser is trying to
center the text twice, in a sense, so left aligning it a little.

>If you remove the td width from each cell with text, then the text
>will be centered in both IE and Netscape.

Well, this works, but I want to set the cell widths to be the same, so I've
turned off the cell width and used a spacer gif to fix it. Not elegant, but
I think it will work.

Thanks to all for setting me on track!

Best wishes,
Adrian