Re: web safe - the real question

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:06:27 +0930
 To:  Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>,
Peter Anderson <peter(at)launch-pad.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Peter and Tamara,

This is something that has caused me no end of grief at times and often the
color difference is not even apparent until you look at what you've created
in a different browser. It can match perfectly in IE and in Netscape you
have to wonder who got in there and changed it.

The only thing I have found that fixes it fairly reliably is to do as you
have done Peter and actually create a background "wallpaper" of the exact
same color as the graphic and save both of them as .jpgs. It's not always
perfect but it works pretty well.

I have an eyedropper that lives on my taskbar for color matching and it's
pretty handy. It's free and you can get it here:

http://eyedropper.inetia.com/HTML/eng/default.asp

Tamara, Stephanie Baker-Thomas's site is an invaluable resource for PI
Users that you might like to take a look at.

http://www.eastofthesun.com/

She also runs a PI Forum which is a great place to hang out and learn all
there is to know and we'd love to see you if you'd care to join us. I've
never raised this question but I know there are some *very* knowledgeable
folks on there and I'm sure one of them would have the right answer.

http://www.eastofsun.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=1&SUBMIT=Go

Hope this is of some help.

Kym

At 11:56 AM 27/03/2001 -0600, Tamara Abbey wrote:
>Peter,
>
>I just received a link to this site a few days ago and I'm trying to
>figure out how to get the techniques to work with ULead PhotoImpact.
>Perhaps this will help with your color questions.
>
>http://www.limitless.co.uk/colour/tips.html
>

>>Does anyone have any other suggestions for a cleaner method for matching
>>your graphic color to the background color?
>
>HTH,
>Tamara

ConceptualEyez Design & Media
Free Graphics for Personal Websites