Re: htaccess and a login "page"

by Bennett Haselton <bennett(at)peacefire.org>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:39:07 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Unless your Web server software supports it (and I don't know of any that
do), you can't use a .htaccess file to generate an HTML page that the user
will see prompting them for their username and password.  Normally, to get
an HTML page with username/password authentication, you'd need to create a
form on the server side and a server-side script to check that the username
and password are valid.

There may be Web development programs that can create these forms, and the
required server-side programs, automatically.  I don't know of any, but I'm
pretty sure there's no way to do it with .htaccess.

         -Bennett