Re: Using MS SQLServer on the web...

by Stephen Johnston <pepe(at)gainsay.com>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:55:26 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Bryan & Jalal-

At 05:56 AM 12/14/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>The amount of automation depends on the tools offered by the host.  You
>mentioned a remote connection to the SQL Server.  Do you really think the
>host will open up his firewall to allow such a connection.  Most only allow
>http, ftp and telnet with an administration panel.  Given those
>restrictions, what are your options.

SQL Server allows many types of connections. Including a TCP/IP connection
(usually on port 1433). Every host that I have used allows connections
through that to your SQL server database, even when they do not even allow
shell and telnet access. Essentially you have to have access in order to
use the SQL client.

>I have never known a good businessman to resist change as long as it makes
>good business sense.

Happens all the time, unfortunately. :)

> > Hi All
> >
> > Some time back I did a ColdFusion site for a customer, using MS Access
> > as the backend database. The site was small and Access worked fine.
> > However, now the site is growing... and the client wants to move up to
> > using MS SQLServer for the DB.

         You can 'upsize' the existing database, if it is relatively
simple. This will work perfect if the access db only stores data. You will
have to connect to the new SQL server in order to do this.

> > The nice thing about the Access database was that he could get someone
> > in the office to put the data in when needed, then ftp the file up and,
> > voila, new data available.
> >
> > Anyone have any tips on how to get data up on a site when using
> > SQLServer?

         I generally write import routines in Delphi or VB if this is a
requirement of the situation. The other option is to write forms on the
site that take care of the management of the data. Another option however
is to link an Access database front-end to the SQL server database. If they
are already used to working in Access this might work.

> > Two possibiliies I know are to have a set of data entry pages, or to
> > use a copy of SQLServer with the remote connection option, but both of
> > these require the client (or one of his minions) to be online, and he
> > wants to add and change data offline then upload the changes.

         You should have said that first. :) When you get into a SQL server
environment, that is going to be more difficult. You are opening yourself
up for a pretty messy inelegant solution. You have to make some kind of
connection to the remote DB in order to do your work. Maybe you should take
Bryan's idea, and appeal to his business sense.

-Stephen