Re: Form action=mailto problem

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:20:47 +1100
 To:  D J Wessels <djwessels(at)yahoo.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:18 21/12/00 -0800, D J Wessels wrote:
>Here's what happened: I put the form in place (see
>code below) on the intranet server (an NT box) and
>submitted a test. Instead of sending the form data in
>the body of a new email message to the email address
>listed, it opened a blank email message on the client
>machine, with the email address listed in the To:
>field. No form data, no nothing.

Yes - this is the disadvantage of relying on action="mailto:..." instead of
server-side processing.  What you describe is a classic symptom of it's
breakdown - IE3 used to do it all the time!!

If the client doesn't like ASP pages, why not have a hidden ASP page - ie.
the form ACTIONs the ASP page, which sends the email and redirects users to
a simpler HTML page?  With a bit of creative thinking, the ASP page could
be used for multiple uses.

Chris