Re: DreamWeaver 3.0 vs. DreamWeaver 4.0

by Stephen Johnston <pepe(at)gainsay.com>

 Date:  Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:30:20 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Emily,

         I have used Dreamweaver 2.0, 3.0 and now 4.0. The short answer is
"4.0 is worth every penny to upgrade."

         However, what I did was upgrade to Dreamweaver Ultradev 4.0 and
get off the Dreamweaver upgrade path. Ultradev is a superset of features in
Dreamweaver. You can do everything in Ultradev you can do in DW. However,
you get the ability to use it for dynamic sites. ASP, JSP and Cold Fusion
are there with syntax highlighting. In my opinion Ultradev 3.0 was severely
hampered without syntax highlighting.

         Now as far as features of DW 4.0 the split window code and WYSIWYG
view is invaluable. I do a lot of bouncing around between code and wysiwyg,
so having the same window is great. The code window is not modal also,
which is a big help. You know how when you opened up the code view in 3.0
you got the code view for all pages when you taskbar'd over to them? That
does not happen anymore, now you can get different views for different
pages you are working on. One can be split, one can be just code, and one
can be just WYSIWYG.

         There are new layout tools, which I have found useful, if not a
little confusing at first. I sense their power, but there is a little bit
of a learning curve. There is a button in the table properties to change
table widths from pixels to percents and vice versa.

         The list goes on and on. If you are using DW as your primary
development tool, I don't know that you can really go wrong upgrading. If
you are dabbling, then you might have other things to think about. If you
are using DW 3.0 and you like it, you will love 4.0

         Anyway, that's my 2c.

HTH,
Stephen