Re: Dreamweaver 3 problem and DW4 question

by Stephen Johnston <pepe(at)gainsay.com>

 Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:26:32 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org,
EHDavies(at)West.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
Elizabeth,

         If I am following you correctly (and I know some things are hard
to explain) then I have gotten around this type of situation by setting up
all links as if they were being called by the script.  The end result is
that Dreamweaver in design mode will show the "i don't have this image"
graphic and your pages may look funny. I would create the template, get it
looking nice and then drop to the code and make the changes by hand to make
it script relative. When they are uploaded the script is called, the link
is document relative to the script and voila.
         However, there is another issue I see here. It seems that your
development environment does not in any way match your live environment.
This is fine for static sites (sometimes) but can be a real pain in the a$$
for dynamic sites and large sites. Maybe I am just missing something, but
getting a development server set up identically to the live server will
solve this problem and many others down the road.
         Actually, I just thought of something else that may apply. Have
you looked at your live site or your development site through FTP? I worked
on a site a while back which had a virtual directory set to
www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/ however the actual folder was below the root
folder that was accessible through www.domainname.com/ this meant that
server relative and document relative files were actually very different
since one used the virtual directory as it's reference point and the links
in the Perl files used the physical directory hierarchy.  Might be worth
checking out. Apparently, some admins set the server up this way for
security reasons.

HTH,
Stephen Johnston