Re: Flash??

by Peggi & Ben Rodgers <woodduck(at)mbay.net>

 Date:  Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:40:40 -0800
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Ellie,

You can find the answers to your question and, I think, download a demo
version of Flash (not sure on that though) from the Macromedia web
site  http://www.macromedia.com.  They are the creators of Flash and also
make Dreamweaver & Fireworks.

I can give you some brief answers to your questions:

>How browser compatible is flash?

Any browser can handle it if it has the player.  A greater worry is the
length of time a download will take.  If you have a slow modem some of the
Flash files will take a while to load.  They can be quite large.  You can
create little loading movies to entertain your audience while they wait,
however.

>How many people really download the flash plugins?

I think Macromedia has a running tally on their web site.  It's up in the
millions and the download & installation only takes a few seconds.

>Do I need a specific type of webhost to use flash?

Not that I know of.

>What do I use to create flash??

The software is called Flash.  One caveat might be that it is not an
intuitive program to learn.  The first time you open the application and
look at the stage you'll gasp and wonder how anyone can possibly understand
it!   But it's not as daunting as it looks. HWG offers some good online
classes and I've found them to be invaluable for learning this application.

HTH

Peggi

Peggi Rodgers
Flash Programmer