Re: multiple language versions

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:26:09 -0700
 To:  Klaas <klaas(at)gracegraphics.be>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:04 PM 27/06/01 +0200, Klaas wrote:
>thanks for this reply.  I was thinking of something in the same direction.
>Though I haven't been able to pratically something like this...
>
>You have a number of different languages, devided across directories...
>/NL/pages/page1.htm for dutch
>and /EN/pages/page1.htm for english.

Here is where you are going wrong - you DON'T want different directories
for each language - you want a single page that looks like this:

<%
if version="English" then
%>
[insert code from /EN/pages/page1.htm]
<%
else if version="Dutch" then
%>
[insert code from /NL/pages/page1.htm]
<%
End If
%>

That way you have one page per language containing all possible variations,
but only the page corresponding with the session variable is displayed.

Instead of the previously suggested session variable, the same things could
be achieved with a simple querystring passed to the successive page.  IMO
that would simplify changing between pages by eliminating the "Reload" step.

Chris Higgs