weird behavior: netscape can't and can see image tag--problem solved

by Michael Southwell <MSouthwell(at)bigfoot.com>

 Date:  Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:00:36 -0400
 To:  highedweb(at)star.newpaltz.edu,
hwg-techniques-digest(at)mail.hwg.org,
monkeyjunkies-digest(at)lists.wired.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
Many thanks to all those who responded both on-list and off-list to this
problem.  Most people suggested validation problems, which was plausible
but wrong.  The actual culprit was an adblocker.  I am using Webwasher
which you can get free at http://www.webwasher.com.  It was intercepting
adspace.gif, though not in IE or Opera, and simply dumping it (thus proving
how well it works).  I am passing along the solution in case others might
run into a similar situation sometime.  This is one of those things that
seems so obvious once you know the answer but is maddening before then.