Re: Editors

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Fri, 11 May 2001 12:46:55 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:48 2001-05-11 -0700, you wrote:
>I have used many editors over the years, in both the MS environment and in
>FreeBSD.
>I think I am settling on HTML-Kit for the MS computers for html work, and
>Ultra-Edit for
>other editing (perl, txt). I am still not satisfied with any particular=
 editor
>for FreeBSD that
>uses a gui, but like ee for most uses (it's a bit like pico). That and a=
 few
>reference books
>get me by. There are soooooo many editors, a person really needs to try=20
>many of
>them
>before picking one based on opinion only.

Very true.  I myself settled on HomeSite very early on after trying out=20
many others.  I keep trying other editors from time to time but I always=20
find they miss something I take for granted in HomeSite and I run back to=20
it.  On my old computer (which I replaced only a few weeks ago actually ;-)=
=20
)  I also used NoteTab Pro for quick edits because its system footprint is=
=20
a lot lighter than HomeSite's and I couldn't open all the apps I needed at=
=20
once.  NoteTab Pro is a very good editor that is well worth considering and=
=20
which is very inexpensive. I still much prefer HomeSite's interface though=
=20
and I never open NoteTab Pro anymore.  Now that I can run several "heavy"=20
apps at the same time I switch between HomeSite and Dreamweaver UltraDev=20
all the time depending on the particular task I'm doing.

Bottomline is that one should absolutely try many editors before they=20
settle on one.  HomeSite feels right to me and I work very fast in it.  On=
=20
the WYSIWYG front, code quality is one of my first criterias to evaluate=20
WYSIWYG software and Dreamweaver delivered for me while others either fell=
=20
short or failed miserably (IMO).

My 2 cents...

St=E9phane Bergeron