Re: HTML3.2 - background images and edge-to-edge tables

by Kimiko Drew <macruimmon(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Mon, 21 May 2001 15:03:40 -0700
 To:  "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:20 PM 5/21/01 +0100, Roger Stenning wrote:
>Does anyone know of a way, without the use of frames, of either
>avoiding the off-the-edge background image run-off for all screen
>sizes, or, failing that, of getting the tables to run to the very edge
>of the screen?
>
>All help will, of course, be very gratefully received!
>
>Best regards,
>
>Roger Stenning

Hi Roger

I have created a similar table for a navbar, although it ended up in a
frame, but would work without a frame. To get the table to flush with the
edges use the following in your body tag

<.body bgcolor="#333333" background="images/marb078.jpg" leftmargin="0"
topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" .>

That should cover for both IE and NN.

Now for the table itself, you will need the background image for the left
side and the right side (which will both remain stationary) and a flexible
middle (make sure that middle image can flow continuously in looks, at
least sideways). Be sure to add % in the table cells that is in the middle,
and that % must = 100%, however you cut it up. This way it works in NN
without problems.

To see an example, http://www.camarilla-sw.org/swr.html , both the navbar
at top and the footer bar are done this way, to expand in size to match
browser window. It works in IE, NN 4+, NN6 and Opera 5+. I had to add a
style to the navbar for NN6, but you ignore that if you aren't working for NN6.

if you need any other clarifications, just let me know.

Kimiko Drew
macruimmon(at)earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~macruimmon/

a web designer in The Camarilla