RE: Need Critique

by Kimiko Drew <macruimmon(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:44:41 -0700
 To:  Klaas De Waele <klaas(at)gracegraphics.be>,
"'David.Artiss(at)boots.co.uk'" <David.Artiss(at)boots.co.uk>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:31 PM 6/1/01 +0200, Klaas De Waele wrote:
>CC'd to techniques, because I think it will learn some people they shouldn't
>put a heavy page in a table.
>
>- Kayjey -

Something I usually do when I have a page with lots of info going into
tables, is to try and break those tables up.

For example, One table can be broken into three tables, with a header
table, a middle table (at least one) and a footer table. The Header table
usually shows up first, and since it has the logo and navigation and other
stuff, people are more willing to wait for the other tables to show up in time.

The Middle table can be broken into chunks, if possible, so that sections
come in with less of an apparent wait. As people start reading from the
top, the tables usually fill out by the time they get lower into a page.
The Footer table comes in last, usually.

Hope that helps with large table sizes and long waits. Its all in the
perception of waiting, and if stuff shows up right away, because it has
been broken into smaller "bite-size" pieces, people will tend to stick
around cause they don't notice the tables loading.

hth

Kimiko Drew
macruimmon(at)earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~macruimmon/