RE: Cascading Style Sheets usage

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:54:40 -0400
 To:  <alg2(at)alg2.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:05 2001-06-06 -0400, you wrote:
>Very good question. I would like to use CSS on a few of my upcoming=
 projects
>as well. I was wondering if there was a chart somewhere that breaks down
>what CSS tags and attributes are supported by what browsers (I think 4.0
>versions are the cutoff for support.)

As someone else on the list, I highly recommend the Visibone HTML Card=20
which also has a comprehensive CSS chart complete with browser support and=
=20
"bugginess" factor for every CSS property.  It's been an incredible life=20
saver for me and is an excellent reference tool.  Check=
 http://www.visibone.com

>Also, I have heard speculation but not actually seen any proof, that the
>(link rel=3D"stylesheet" type=3D"text/css" href=3D"whatever.css") method if=
 placed
>between the (head)(/head) tags will make the browser disregard all the font
>tags within the page. Is there any proof of this.

That is not true. In fact it's the exact opposite. Whatever style (be it=20
font tags or inline CSS) that is closest to the affected text or element=20
will prevail.  Font tags are closer to the text than a linked style sheet=20
so they will have priority.  On the other hand, it just makes no sense=20
(because of the above and other reasons) to use both font tags and CSS in=20
the same document.  This defeats the purpose of using CSS and diminishes=20
its power, especially for the fact that you can style and modify the style=
=20
for an entire site with one style sheet file.  Personally I gave up font=20
tags entirely 2 years ago.  There is no good reason to keep using them=20
now.  CSS style documents are smaller, render faster, look more consistent=
=20
and the code is far easier to read and edit.  That'S not to mention the=20
fact that separating style from content is becoming more and more=20
important.  The Web has moved on and the time of HTML 3.2 has come and=20
gone.  HTML 4.01 and XHTML are the present and future.  Better embrace it=20
now.  Browser support has never been better and keeps improving.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron