Re: Another Dumb Tags Issue

by Kimiko Drew <macruimmon(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:00:40 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:27 PM 6/15/01 +0100, you wrote:
>That's not going to be the case, according to the following article in the
>Wall Street Journal:
>
>http://public.wsj.com/sn/y/SB991862595554629527.html
>
>It seems that IE6 running on Windows XP will parse every web page and add
>purple lines beneath certain words.

Hi all

I can really see everyone's perspective here, including Tim's. I want
control over my own browser as well.

And it wasn't until today that I realized that Microsoft wasn't the first
to do this very thing about adding links (not a surprise). I once had a
program (name unremembered, icon was a fly.) that I downloaded and
installed into my browser. It would add additional links to every page I
visited, and link them to a variety of sites that matched the names. For
example, if it had William Shakespeare on the page, the link would be
clickable, and you could chose to go to the normal link (if there was one)
or a whole bunch of other sites, by just choosing one of the many
hyperlinks shown. It was a pain, to put it bluntly.

I eventually removed the program. Why? Because there was no way to know
what those additional links context was about, without visiting every
single one of them. That and it got in the way more often than not. I would
rather use a search engine, because then I know, more or less, the context
of the links I am visiting.

But the point of the above was that links can be automatically created by
the software to make additional links the designer did not put in. However,
I chose to put that nasty software on, and chose to remove the software.
Microsoft, for now, at least turns off the Smart Links. Now if they can
allow the browser owner to remove the whole shebang, that would make me
happier. Not that I am happy with Microsoft and their Smart Links to begin
with...

They really should make software that works right, rather than add stuff we
all really don't want or need. But then I used to sell computer stuff, and
hated it when customers would come back with stuff that didn't work right
and they would be upset with me when it was the software/hardware company's
problems. But that's a whole other rant.

my three pesos.

Kimiko Drew
macruimmon(at)earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~macruimmon/
a web designer in The Camarilla
White Wolf's Official Fan Club

Nothing happens unless first a dream. - Carl Sandburg