Re: Site Redesign - Implementation

by Kimiko Drew <macruimmon(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:18:28 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:19 AM 6/22/01 -0400, Ryan Bell wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone had a good strategy for implementing a new
>design for a large web site?  I have done several smaller redesigns, but
>nothing this large, and I guess what I was wondering is what other people
>have done with little fallout.  Is it best, to implement the new design in
>pieces?, work on the entire site offline and then replace the old with the
>new?, etc.  What's the best way to communicate with end users, and keep
>any interruptions in service to a minimum?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Ryan

Hi Ryan

I just completed a medium size site redesign (250 pages+) and did the
redesign by doing a update of new info as needed in the old site/design
(part of the duties), while offline I redid the whole site (graphics,
navigation, the works). I used a temp site for uploading ideas under
discussion, and to test things out.

When done (3 months) I uploaded the whole new site. The nice part was that
we then had our own domain name. The hardest part was having to transfer
the old info/text into the new format, but Templates really helped keep
that to a minimum. I also made a notice that during the last week or so
that no new info would be placed on the old site. I spent that time making
the last minute adjustments and then redirected everyone to the new site
and stuff. It made a nice impact.

And to keep the end users aware that changes were happening, I made notes
once in awhile on the news page (homepage) that things would be changing
soon, and made "coming soon" type announcements in the few weeks when I was
close to finishing.

hth

Kimiko Drew
macruimmon(at)earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~macruimmon/
a web designer in The Camarilla
White Wolf's Official Fan Club

Nothing happens unless first a dream. - Carl Sandburg