Re: Dreamweaver

by Kimiko Drew <macruimmon(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:45:20 -0700
 To:  Chuck Evans <chuck.evans(at)click2learn.com>,
"'HWG Techniques'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:56 AM 6/29/01 -0700, you wrote:
Grrr. I hate Dreamweaver. Not because it isn't a good web design tool, but
because in the hands of someone who doesn't know good, basic HTML and
cross-browser issues, it can be a deadly weapon.

My question: Where do I go to learn the RIGHT way to use Dreamweaver? How do
I set up DW so it doesn't mess with some nice, tight code when it opens it
up? How do I tell DW to stop putting in table cell heights and widths every
time someone drags a table cell border up, down or sideways? (Those dang
tags are a legacy pain in the patootie on my site.)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Chuck Evans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Chuck,

I like Dreamweaver, but then I have been using it since version 1.

I don't move tables around, because it goes adds the pixel sizes. I have
yet to figure out how to turn it off. I just highlight all the cells that
have the same sizes (usually in a column) and delete out the number that
was inserted. Annoying yes, so if anyone else knows how to shut that off, I
would be happy too (and quite appreciative).

As for not affecting tight code, mine has yet to disturb anything I write,
unless it is bad html markup. And in Edit > Preferences, you can set the
Code Rewriting, to never adjust codes with certain enders, or whatever.
Give the Preferences section a looksee.

As for how to use it correctly, there are many books I have barely read,
and HWG has a class in Dreamweaver you might want to look into. My book of
choice was the manual that came with the software, but then I do read
manuals. :-D

hth

Kimiko Drew
macruimmon(at)earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~macruimmon/
a web designer in The Camarilla
White Wolf's Official Fan Club

Nothing happens unless first a dream. - Carl Sandburg