Re: annoying websites

by Kimiko Drew <macruimmon(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Mon, 09 Jul 2001 10:51:28 -0700
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Apart from that, personally, if I'm looking for something, I'm more
>interested in reading whether or not the site has the information that I
>want, rather than looking at pictures.
>
>Kym

Hi all

To clarify a post I made earlier about my users wanting photos... I design
for Live Action Role Playing gamers who get all dressed up, and want a
reminder about how they looked cool in their duds, especially at large
regional/national events. Hence, my users want photos. My logs show that my
highest viewership are on photos of the past events, or links to other
people's photos.

But I also focus on content in text, like rules and stories and stuff our
members need to know, and making that text look nice and presentable, and
sometimes easily printable. Even the photos have text to read while waiting
for the photos to show up. And I try to make them look good, yet keep small
sizes (usually under 20k or down to 12k avg.) and provide thumbnails for
initial viewing (1-2k)

Like the Elizabeth's mantra says: Know your users. I really believe that is
the whole key, because if I was designing for a business site, the photos
would be less important, unless they were of course of products the
business was selling.

Kimiko Drew
macruimmon(at)earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~macruimmon/
a web designer in The Camarilla
White Wolf's Official Fan Club

Nothing happens unless first a dream. - Carl Sandburg