RE: OT? databases?

by "Anthony L. Gloster, Jr." <alg2(at)alg2.com>

 Date:  Tue, 09 Oct 2001 19:53:34 -0400
 To:  "JCS" <eandscon(at)javanet.com>,
"psalmon" <psalmon(at)cafes.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have been toying with the idea of setting up a database for a company
that I do work for. They want to be able to track assets (such as machines
and cases of inventory delivered) at specific locations. They want to be
able to track, customer, address and contact info, duration of placement,
etc, etc. They want to be able to have this information readily available
either on a secure web server or even (if it were possible) to get this
updated information to sync to their Palm devices at certain intervals of
the business day.

 From what I have heard in round about conversations on database creation
and management.

1. Access is easy to work with, but the fact that it is a Microsoft product
makes it unstable and insecure.
2. MySQL is a little harder to work with, but is a lot more secure when
deployed properly. And to beat all, MySQL is free.
3. Oracle and other solutions exist, but come at an enormous price and high
learning curve.

Please correct me if I am wrong in any of these assessments. Also, if
anyone could lead us to some helpful online resources to learn more about
database creation and management.

Thanks,

ALG2