Re: Dreamweaver question

by Christopher Higgs <chiggs(at)unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Tue, 06 Nov 2001 08:49:51 +1100
 To:  "Cook,
Shelby" <scook(at)equibase.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'Day Shelby

At 01:41 PM 11/5/01 -0500, Cook, Shelby wrote:
>I have a client who is complaining that when they ftp over files, they
>cannot overwrite an old file with the same name.  They are forced to delete
>the old file from the folder and then they can send up the file.

The problem is not "software specific" :-)

>Several other people have had success ftping to the same folder and
>overwriting a current page with an updated one.

And there is the problem!

Your "several other people" aren't correctly setting the permissions on the
files they upload.  They are not giving others within the group write
access - hence your user can't overwrite the file.  However, because they
have write access to the directory, they can delete the file - weird huh !?!

>   Since we were using WS_FTP

If you click the DirInfo button for the site, you should get a directory
listing, and the left hand column should have entries like this:
-rwxrwxr-x   1 higgs   landfood      6673 Nov  2 09:33 index.html

That left hand column corresponds with a CHMOD of 775.  My guess is your
users files will be:
-rw-r--r--

The third column will give you an idea of who the owner that is causing the
problem.

Using WSFTP, the CHMOD command is accessed via a right mouse click on the
relevant file - but your user won't be able to change permissions - only
the file owner can do that.

Chris Higgs
Manager, New Learning Technology
ILFR, University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/
Phone: +61 3 8344 9749  Fax: + 61 3 9348 2156