Re: 301 Moved permanently - how to?

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 07 Jan 2002 17:59:53 +0000
 To:  "'hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org'" <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:10 07/01/02 +0100, Klaas De Waele wrote:
>How do I set up a header so that this is achieved?  I have access to
>.htaccess, php, perl cgi.  If anyone could help me out on this, I'd be very
>grateful.

Easiest way is with .htaccess

If the structure of the sites (directories and filenames) are identical,
you can do it with one line:

Redirect permanent /          http://www.example.com/

What this does is takes any URL that starts with a / and adds everything
after the slash to the new domain

For example, suppose your website is currently at
www.example.org/mysite/mysubdirectory/. If you put the above line in the
htaccess file in mydirectory then the url

http://www.example.org/mysite/mysubdirectory/myfile.html

will become

http://www.example.com/mysubdirectory/myfile.html

If the new site doesn't have the same structure, then you need to add
individual lines for the individual files as well.

For example, to redirect

http://www.example.org/mysite/file.html

http://www.example.com/anotherdirectory/file.html

you would put in the line

Redirect permanent
/file.html          http://www.example.com/anotherdirectory/file.html

If you are using apache, or an apache compatible server, the relevant
documentation is at

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_alias.html

HTH,

Andrew