RE: 301 Moved permanently - how to?

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 08 Jan 2002 18:17:39 +0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:23 08/01/02 +0100, Klaas De Waele wrote:
>Thanks for these perfect answers Gregor and Andrew.

No problem :-)

>An additional question on this... now someone comes in through his
>bookmarks.  Within a month or so, there not going to be the old
>pages/address anymore.  Does the browser understand it's now a new URL?  I'd
>think it should know, but of course...

Theoretically the bookmarks should be updated. Don't know which (if any)
browsers do this. Mozilla 0.9.7 and IE 6 on the PC don't seem to. It would
probably be worth trying to get the old addresses to work for another
couple of months, unless it involved a silly amount of money or inconvenience.

Andrew